Benches Overlook

Updating Your Information


Contact Information

ERFC mails your annual tax form (1099-R) in January and other vital correspondence throughout the year. So it's important to let us know if your address, email, or other contact information changes. Please notify us by doing ONE of the following:

  • Log in to ERFCDirect, select "Contact Information," and make your updates.
  • Mail us a Name/Address Change Form for Retirees and Beneficiaries (ERFC 29B).
  • Call us at 703-426-3900, M-F, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and our staff will verify your identity and make the needed updates.

Direct Deposit

Direct Deposit

All ERFC retirees receive their retirement payments through direct deposit. If you change banks and need to update your direct deposit information, do ONE of the following:

  • Log in to ERFCDirect, select "Direct Deposit Elections," and make your changes.
  • Mail us a new Direct Deposit Authorization (ERFC 3).

If we receive your form by close of business on the 15th of the month, your change will be effective immediately. Forms received after the 15th of the month will be effective the following month.



Major life events such as marriage, birth/adoption of children, or divorce warrant a review of your beneficiary designations. You can only update your beneficiaries by mailing us a new Beneficiary Designation (ERFC 1). Please Note: Beneficiary designations submitted in writing using form ERFC 1 must be notarized.

Person with a checkmark

Authorize Someone to Access Your ERFC Account

At some point, you may need to elect a family member or another trusted person to talk to ERFC about your benefits or act on your behalf.

Authorize Someone to Discuss Your ERFC Information

The Authorization to Discuss Member Information (ERFC 31) gives ERFC permission to discuss your retirement benefits and account information with the person you’ve named. This person is only authorized to have access to information, not to act on your behalf. ERFC representatives must speak with you before providing bank account and bank routing numbers, medical records, beneficiary information, and Approved Domestic Relations Orders.

Designate Someone to Act on Your Behalf

If you want to elect someone to act on your behalf and in accordance with your wishes, complete the ERFC Durable Power of Attorney (ERFC 38), have it notarized, and send it to ERFC. This form gives the person you name permission to:

  • Designate or change a beneficiary for you
  • Change an address
  • Set up direct deposit

A power of attorney provided through your personal attorney is also acceptable.

The ERFC durable power of attorney remains in effect unless you revoke or change it.

Both the Authorization to Discuss ERFC Member Information (ERFC 31) and the ERFC Durable Power of Attorney (ERFC 38) relate only to ERFC information.

Report a Death

Report a Death

In the event of the death of a retired member or survivor, please contact ERFC as soon as possible at 703-426-3900 or by email at

When reporting a retired member’s death, the beneficiary or estate elected representative must provide ERFC with a death certificate if a benefit is due. Estate representatives must also provide a letter of administration naming them the estate representative to complete a withdrawal along with the beneficiary form for estates.

If you're reporting the death of a survivor annuitant and the retired member is still alive, the pension will switch to the basic benefit option amount. If the survivor was receiving the monthly annuity, the final annuity payment will be processed at the end of the month in which they passed away.

When reporting the death of a Domestic Relations Order (DRO) recipient, the final annuity payment will be processed at the end of the month in which they passed away. The retired member’s payment will resume back to the full payment once ERFC receives the required paperwork.

If you have questions about updating any of your information, please call us at 703-426-3900, M-F, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.